Thursday, May 12, 2011

EOC Week 6: Me x 3

Let's talk about 3 things I religiously buy and why. Number 1. American Eagle jeans because being a woman, clothes is not the easiest thing to deal with. Different brands and different stores have different fits to every body type. These jeans fit me best and I rarely buy jeans from anywhere else. It's the first place I look and think of to accomplish the need to have clothes but also to satisfy my need to feel comfortable. Number 2. Electronics. Ever since a young age I have always been fascinated with electronics as a general. Being involved with Audio, I have started to build up my own workstation and the bare essentials to make it possible to do work. Earlier this year I purchased the AKG Perception 420 Condenser microphone. Upon making a decision on which microphone to purchase, I considered polar patterns, frequency response and cost. A huge part of my decision was that I wanted it to come enclosed in a case, not a pouch. This AKG 420 came with a metal case. When buying a microphone, frequency response is essential. The 420 has a incredibly flat line frequency response for all 3 polar patterns that can be changed to. It has a -20dB pad and also a high pass filter. Also, instead of buying a condenser mic with just a cardioid pattern, this comes with all 3: Cardioid, Omni and Figure 8...3 mics in one. Cost was very important. I was able to buy it for only $195. A great mic can easily cost from $300-$1,000. This was a great purchase. I love that mic and the way it sounds. Number 3. The Zoom H4n hand recorder. I recently purchased this about 3 weeks ago. I was considering getting a better hand recorder than the one that I already have so I researched and also by word of mouth, I was recommended with the H4n. This recorder has 2 mics built in which you can change the angles to either 90 degrees, or 120 degrees. On top of that, it has 2 mic/line inputs to directly record from a microphone. You can have a stereo recording, 2-channel, or multitrack. That's major because you can have up to 4 microphones to record just off that recorder. On top of that you can set your recording to true stereo or have a mono mix. It was $300. For the work that I do and intend to do to gather sound FX and have it with me, it was a great buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment